December 18, 2011

Pressing Questions

There it is.
That phrase I hate to hear.
Settle down.
I cringe.
No, not you too.
Why does my heart demand
m  o  v  e  m  e  n  t
free spirit-ness
that only the jumping from
place
        to
           place
can subside?
Why does he even
linger




on that place that so many
times I have despised?
The place I pledge never
to settle down in
for fear of complacency
and loss of adventure in spirit
you d
        a
       n
        g
       l
        e
it in front of me
enticing me to change my
view and to turn on myself.
And quite frankly, it undoes
me.                                           up
Because I, so far, have looked
to you
and in some ways this only
strengthens my admiration
that you can be honest
with yourself
and venture there
while I still stand
                            stubborn.
And in other ways I     scoff
at how easily you seemed
to have given
                    in.
That they have  lured  you in so quickly
that you could turn so easily
on the lifestyle I think
you were meant to live.
You anger me.
You astound me.
And suddenly I feel small.
Looking for excuses to bail
you out of this prison I
perceive around you
secretly wishing I could
feel so free.
I claim flexibility but
I put it within walls
and name it tame.
When in reality it is wild
and scratching at the bricks
roaring to be set free
and clawing at me
    its "owner"
who leashes it and
pretends the bleeding scratches
don't exist
and aren't staining my very being.
It doesn't seem fair.
I watch you from afar
in awe.
And suddenly I hope
that by somehow
standing near
that ability to be free
will rub off on me.
That you will take me in,
apprentice me,
teach me how to make
that part of you
a part of me.
That's why....

Wait, what was the question again?

No comments:

Post a Comment