April 5, 2014

The House

I sit here in this house of pain
walls torn bare
floor exposed
frame barely standing
and me sitting in the center
looking up through the rafters
into the sky
exposed to the elements
the wind whipping through this shamble of a house
the concrete cold beneath my legs
the wood splintered beneath my fingers
I sit here and I weep
I weep for injustice
I weep for deep wants unfulfilled
I weep for my own jealousy showing beneath my skin
I weep for the state of this house, this house of pain
But carved into every splintered beam is a promise
etched into every inch of cold concrete are the words
words to live by
promises to hold
I lay my body over them
soaking up the cold
splintering my hands as I run them over the grooves
I know that from this foundation
on these promises something beautiful will be built
so I can cherish this pain
though I can't see it all now
I know that this empty house will be built up
into a beautiful home

No comments:

Post a Comment