March 19, 2012

Pasts

The old notebook, dates and times, 
pages of ancient text in my own handwriting
I type it out to you now
correcting bad grammar and spelling from a younger me
a me lost in emotion
caught between a smile and dark thoughts
I read it back now
The smile stays in each word
But the truth is there on it's haunches waiting
You say those words, that I was a treasure, and it pounces
I begin slowly
A truth I rarely tell
and you hesitate, it doesn't make sense
I agree, looking at those words
the pictures
the mask on the outside
but inside I see the scars from the thrashing and claws
Those words, moments, trapped in time and inside me
The scars still rise to my touch, away from the skin I hid them in
I can still feel the scrape of every word and the burn 
I show them now, I peel away the clothes of silence and repression
And as I peel I cry
Each salty tear trickling over the wounds
And you wait for me patiently while I huddle, exposed and cold, shaking
But you don't see me like this
To you I am more a treasure than before
Thank you
I gather my clothes, again hiding scars
but knowing that now they are fading
Just like the penciled words in that book
Sent back to the past

No comments:

Post a Comment